A bit of trivia about tomatoes...
• Florida is the nation’s largest producer of fresh tomatoes
• Tomatoes are supersources of Vitamins A and C and lycopene
• Keep tomatoes at room temperature in a dry storage spot
• Store with the stem side up
• A medium size tomato has only 25 calories!
Going with a Florida flow...Florida girl Jen serves her tomatoes up with veggieloaded appetizers and nachos, pastas and pizzas, salsas and more yumful stuff! :)
From The Peace Patch Past...Sweet Bursts of Tomatoey Goodness!
Treat the Earth and its people with respect. If you go with canned tomatoes look for Certified Organic brands like Eden Organic or Muir Glen. In the produce section look for fresh tomatoes labeled Certified Organic from Fair Trade Certified growers like Del Cabo, Divine Flavor, Master's Touch, Signature Brand or Wholesum, or buy from stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's that have signed on to the Campaign for Fair Food.
What's your fave way to eat tomatoes...green and fried? Stuffed? On a kabob? Sprinkled with sugar? Do you grown your own? Do you look for organic and fair trade labels when you shop? :)
Find more feasts in our 2014 Daily Food Holiday and Featured Blogger Series!