February brings us Potato Lover’s Month, and the UK Potato Council has declared Feb 17-23 Chip Week on top of it...yay! FYI "chips" is the British word for fries...in France they're "frites", in Belgium they're "frieten". Whatever you call them, they're internationally irresistible!
When I saw Rooted Vegan's recipe for Baked Fries, I just had to ditch my computer and dish them up...nothing else satisfies a coldweather craving like a packet of spicy hot potatoes! Rooted Vegan boasts a colorful collection of dishes like this, plus boatloads of helpful healthy info and links like DIY Vegan Skin Care Formulas...supercool stuff! Their deliciously filling recipes will put a smile on your face and on your midwinter spirit! :)
p.s...if you go for the fries, make a double batch because the first panful will disappear in seconds flat! ;)
The Power of Potatoes:
• Naturally fat free
• Easy source of energy
• Full of potassium, vitamin C and B6
Recommended fry varieties include Maris Piper or King Edward in the UK and Bintje, Russet or New Potatoes in the US.
• You need to be especially careful if you are deep-fat frying or cooking with oil because hot oil can catch fire easily.
• If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer for chips. They can’t overheat.
• Do not leave cooking unattended and do not leave children alone in the kitchen.
• Don’t overfill a chip pan with oil – never fill it more than one third full.
• Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
• For more information please visit facebook.com/firekills or http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/chip-pans
The Basics of Baking Fries:
Quick and Healthy Baked Fries
Baked Fries with Salsa
Fire Stick French Fries
Potato Wedges Homemade in the Micro
More recipes, techniques and ideas...just ignore the non-vegan parts. ;)
Follow Chip Week highlights and award-winning chippers!
Do you dip or sauce up your fries? How do you like them...thin, thick, wedgie, curly? Have you ever had tornado fries? ;)
Celebrate some more with our 2014 Daily Food Holiday and Featured Blogger Series!