Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Happy Tea and Scones Day!

Blogger of the Day: Debbie at maple•spice

One of the many hats that I wear is caregiver for my mom, and while it's not always easy, it's rewarding in many soulwarming ways. We spend the days chatting away...this past week we were sharing memories of the times she tried to civilize her unruly brood by treating us to formal teas. I'm not sure if we amused or annoyed fellow tea drinkers at The Pfister or at Watts Tea Shop but it was fun all the same. I still remember bits and pieces of proper tea etiquette but mostly I remember my fondness for scones...when I became a vegan I went on a mission to find the perfect vegan scone, not an easy task. Which is what led me to maple•spice many years ago...

Nothing spins me happier than a fluffysoft scone with a crunchysugar crust. There are plenty of stoneheavy scones and acidwashed scones and even mushyinthemiddle scones out there but Debbie's recipe is beyond perfect...these are truly magical! Debbie was born to bake...she's created hundreds of superyumful sweets from simple chocolate chip cookies to her famous Spaghetti and Meatball Cake and her "mahoosive Veggie Burger Cake"! It's not all sweets though...there's an abundance of appetizers, main dishes, sides and salads too. I had such a hard time choosing what to include in this post because I have so many recipes bookmarked, printed out and practically memorized but the first and my favorite are her scones. You can make them many ways, with different added bits and toppings but you must make them plain first and enjoy their simple innocent bliss. Tea is optional but I highly recommend it...pinkies down please.  ;)

Trivia bit...today is also the birthday of Anna, Duchess of Bedford, "Creator" Of Afternoon Tea. Cheers!  :)












Take some time to visit Debbie's food diary too...it's a great resource to find delicious dish combinations and it illustrates the ease and imagination of living a healthy vegan life!  :)

Do you attend afternoon teas? Which are your favorite teas and treats? Have you found a perfect scone recipe? What sweet baked treat spins you happiest?  :)

Find more feasts in our 2014 Daily Food Holiday and Featured Blogger Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment