Asparagus season is bustling so buy a big bunch or two next time you're veggie shopping!
FYI Asparagus 101...
• Buy fresh and local...check your farmers' market!
• Crazy it up with purple or white asparagus if you can find it!
• Make sure the tips aren't mushy and the spears aren't wiltysoft.
• Wrap the the cut end of your bunch in wet paper towels then refrigerate in a plastic bag and use within 2 or 3 days.
• Wash the spears, then trim off the woody bottom ends before cooking.
• Easy steaming...wrap half dozen spears in wet paper towels and microwave for about 4 minutes. Remove and unwrap carefully...it will be hot!
• You can also sauté it, blanch it, boil & ice it or roast and pesto it like Devon does!
Devon is a design-lovin' crafty Canadian with a taste for all things pink and for vegan yumfulness too! Her Hazelnut Pesto and Asparagus Pasta is a brightly succulent dish on a sunnycool springtime day. :)
And in case you didn't get enough caramel yesterday, today is also National Caramel Popcorn Day! Bring a bucketful to your next baseball game! :)
Is asparagus on your springtime menu? How do you like to cook it? Have you ever been to an asparagus festival? ;)
Stockton Asparagus Festival April 25-27, 2014 Stockton, CA
Empire Asparagus Festival May 16-18, 2014 Empire, MI
Asparagus & Flower Heritage Festival May 17, 2014 West Brookfield, MA
White Silo Farm & Winery Asparagus Festival May 17-18, 2014 Sherman, CT
Edgar Farms Asparagus Festival June 1, 8 & 15, 2014 Innisfail, Alberta, Canada
National Asparagus Festival June 6-8, 2014 Hart, MI
Check out the rest of our 2014 Daily Food Holiday and Featured Blogger Series!