It's Halloween season and seitan has arrived! Seitan (actually pronounced say-tahn, or as awesome Isa says it, say-tan) is a savory meat sub made with vital wheat gluten. The VWG gives it that dense meaty texture that some people miss when they go vegan...and cons carnivores into thinking it's meat! You can make seitan yourself or buy it premade and flavored. If you're missing meatballs, meatloaf or any other meaty eats, seitan is a devilishly clever switch! ;)
Animal loving angel Jess shares her seitan secrets and more hearty heavenly feasts. :)
• Jess' Pictorial Guide to Homemade Seitan
• Isa's Homemade Seitan recipe
• Vegetarian Times' Homemade Seitan recipe and video
• Show Me The Curry's Seitan Meat Substitute recipe and video
• Dairy Godmother's Seitan Meat "Cheat" Balls recipe and video
Tip...reading through the comments gives you extra hints and options!
Sources for Vital Wheat Gluten...
• Arrowhead Mills
• Bob's Red Mill
• King Arthur Flour Company
Seitan's Vegan Minions...
• Sweet Earth Natural Foods
• Taft Foodmasters
• Upton's Naturals
Which is your favorite meat substitute...seitan, tempeh or tofu? How do you like it served? Would you rather be an angel or a devil for Halloween? ;)
Celebrate some more with our 2014 Daily Food Holiday and Featured Blogger Series!